Friday 15 July 2011

And One for Anachronisms

And One for Anachronisms

            Often, we find ourselves looking for or living on streets with unpronounceable names, or simply names we don’t feel like pronouncing.  For example, back in Rome, Will renamed Via de Pelliccia (the way you get to Casetta di Trastevere) “Pelican Street.”  Here in Budapest, we live off of “Kelsey Street” (Kölcsey street).  Just an interesting fact.

            I’m also gonna tell a quick story.  I like to say the word “porpoise” instead of “purpose.”  For example, I might say “Will, I don’t understand the porpoise of what you’re doing.”  I find it amusing.  I also don’t understand Will’s taste in women.  It baffles and confuses me, like geometry or why English doesn’t have like 3,000 umlauts.  In this vein, Will stole my porpoise.  He wouldn’t let me say it anymore.  To get my porpoise back, we had to play a little game we came up with a while back.  I had to guess whether he found random women on the street attractive or not.  To earn my porpoise back, I had to get three right in a row.  To this porpoise, I succeeded (see?).  It took a LONG time.  It was so hard.  I just don’t get it.

            Today was Independence Day.  To celebrate, we wanted to go to the firing range.  We also convinced Dan to go.  It wasn’t hard; all we had to do was say it was Independence Day, and he had a duty as an American.  We went all the way deep in Buda to get to the range, and we discovered that it was closed.  Using Dan’s Hungarian-English dictionary, we learned that it is closed Sunday – Tuesday.  We were very sad, and we headed back to Pest.

            Since we couldn’t go shooting, we decided to eat like Americans.  We went to the Hungarian buffet and ate tons of food.  We also bought Dan a shot or three of Palinka, that awful Russian liquor.  We kept buying them every time he left the table or wasn’t paying attention.  It was fun.

            After the buffet, we took Dan to Keleti (the main train station) so he could get his train, and we bought our tickets to go to Romania.  We returned to the hostel, and I learned that my Kindle had gotten to Hungary.  However, it was being held by customs, and I had to fill out forms.  It was sad. 

            MJ, one of the people who worked at the hostel, was taking people out that evening.  We went with her.  She took us to this place that was ½ bar, ½ club, and good at neither.  It couldn’t figure out whether it wanted to be a good club or a good bar, and it ended up just being bad, so we went home.  We swore to do better the next day.  For America.

Will’s Corner
            One of these days, Mr. Porpoise is going to meet Mr. Harpoon.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Joe,
            Your porpoise is to be amazing.  You succeed.
Love,
Will and Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment