Saturday 11 June 2011

And One for Crazy Nationalists

And One for Crazy Nationalists

            Because of how we booked, we had to check out and check in, despite staying in the same room in the same beds.  We didn’t know this at first, but Will noticed his keycard stopped working, and I heard the concierge tell the cleaning lady to go change our beds specifically.  This is when Will lost his airplane blanket.  It was sad. 
           
            We had Pizza Hut buffet again (We can only afford 2 meals a day, and only 1-2 ethnic/regional meals per country.   We have to load up on calories when it’s cheap.).  Then, we went to the Tower of London.  It was awesome.  They had a special exhibit on the Royal Menagerie, and there were actors faux-killing each other pretty much constantly on the central green.  The fusiliers museum was pretty cool, especially some line that said something along the lines of “The atrocities that Britain allegedly committed were not mentioned in [some fusilier]’s journal.”  We chuckled at that.  The Crown Jewels were meh.  I mean, sure, they were shiny, but whatever.  There was cool prison graffiti in the towers.  Finally, there was a sweet armory.  I kind of threw a fit when the exhibit said that the axe was better than the sword for close-combat.  Fuck that shit.  Will mocked me, but he sucks.

            We accidentally caught some cool changing of the guard thing.  I think it was called the Ceremony of the Word.  We couldn’t figure out the name of the gun they were holding, and it annoyed the hell out of both of us.

            After the Tower, we went to the Imperial War Museum.  It was awesome.  We spent the rest of the day there, and we didn’t even get to see everything.  Most of it was WW2 onwards, but we didn’t get to see all of it.  There was a big ol’ V2 rocket greeting us at the door.  It was friendly.  Oh, and a shit-ton of tanks. 



            When we got back to the hostel, Will went upstairs, saying he was going to bed, at 21:00.  I hung out at the bar, and I ended  up being up till about 02:00.  I got reunited with Jared, who greeted me by pulling me into his arms and kissing me on the cheek.  A lot.  He was so happy to see me.  He was also glowing so brightly that it blinded me.  I guess he had a good time with Mimi. 

            The random people I met / had beers with were a random Massachusetts girl who was interested in veterinary medicine named Emma, an American named James, an American named Eddit (wtf?), and a New Zealander also named James (I called him Kiwi James).  He said that English originally came from New Zealand.  Back then, it was called “Kiwinese.”  Totally believable and definitely happened, I’m sure.  That’s why it’s called English.  Then again, the British DO steal everything…

Will’s Corner
            Your sword doesn’t count for shit if I shoot you first.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Joe,
            When the time comes, pick the third one from the right.  You’ll know.
Love,
Will and Andy (and a fortune cookie)

No comments:

Post a Comment